Bedford St Johns signal box
This Cravens DMU is coming from Bletchley towards the triangle junction in 1977. Trains could go left to Bedford station and the Midland Mainline. This DMU will go to the right for Bedford St Johns station.
Bedford St Johns signal box was at the Junction of the line from Bletchley.
( photo enlarged from the 35mm slide above)
Bedford St Johns signal box had to be rebuilt after a fire with a flat roof.
(photo also enlarged from a small part part of a 35mm slide)
Bedford Midland station opened in 1859. In 1894 fast lines that bypassed the station were opened. The Midland railway ran the trains till the grouping when the LMS took control.
There was a second Bedford station which was called Bedford St Johns this was on the line from Oxford to Cambridge. Trains from Bedford to Bretchley used this station after the Bedford to Cambridge part of the line closed.
When this station and signal box were closed the trains were moved to the Bedford Midland station bay platform.