Bedford station in June 2003
Thamslink EMU of class 319427 at Bedford station in 2003.
South Central EMU 319005 at Bedford station 2003
Thamslink class 319 EMU at Bedford station in 2003
Midland Mainline HST Borough of Kettering at Bedford station 2003
Midland Mainline HST43066 leaving Bedford station
Bedford in 2003 was s a busy station with commuter trains to London. HSTs and class 170's were run by Midland Mainline that stoped at Bedford station.
The EMUs to the South of London and Brighton were run by Thamslink in 2003.
There were also diesel units to Bletchley on the Bedford to Bletchley line.
Bedford Midland station opened in 1859. In 1894 fast lines that bypassed the station were opened. The Midland railway ran the trains till the grouping when the LMS took control.
From 1948 British Railways ran the trains around Bedford till Privatisation of the railways when Midland Main line and then Thamslink and Siverlink took over the running of the trains. From the 1st April 2006, First Capital Connect had been operating the the Thamslink trains between London, Brighton and Bedford till late 2014 when Thames link took over.
There was a second Bedford station which was called Bedford St Johns this was on the line from Oxford to Cambridge. Trains from Bedford to Bretchley used the main station after the Bedford to Cambridge part of the line closed.