Railways around Peterborough & The National Rail Network & Heritage railways in the UK
Ely Railway Station
Ely signal boxes
Ely station signal boxes in BR days
Ely station North signal box was next to the north end of Ely station it opened in 1880. The gate lad who worked the gates,is having 5 mins in the sun waiting for a train to pass, as the gates are already closed to road traffic. This box closed in April 1992 when the Cambridge power box
took over control of Ely railways when the overhead wires came to Ely.
Today this road which was is very busy with Lorrys are queued up every time the barriers had come down, often right back into Ely is closed with a by pass round Ely. There is a still very low under bridge just for cars here to the left of were the the level crossing was .
The low bridge at at Ely station road crossing just for cars and cycles and small vans with a Central Trains class 170 in the station.
Ely South signal box was at the south end of Ely station and two fine signals.
Ely Dock Junction signal box
This box controled the junction to the line to Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich going off to the left as well as the Cambridge line
This box opened in 1928 and closed in 1992
North of Ely is the small hamlet of Queen Adelaide
were three lines head out into the fens. One railway is the line to March
and another line to goes to The Kings Lynn
with stations at Littleport
and Downham Market
(Overhead Wires to Kings Lynn)and one line goes to to Norwich
. Here there was a large signal box looking like the three above, which is now closed called Ely North Junction which I never took a photo of.
Two of the colour light signals and lots and lots of signs at the north end of Ely station in 2013 that have replaced the signals and signal boxes.