UK National railways
LINCOLNSHIRE WOLDS RAILWAY
47406 into Ludborough station on the 24th April 2011
This 0-6-0T no. 47406 had come from the Great Central Railway for this event.
The Lincolnshire Wolds Railway is a standard gauge steam railway with its main base at at Ludborough station. So far it runs trains between its Ludborough station and North Thoresby.
The railway is on the track bed of Great Northern line which was originally opened in 1848 and was part of the Great Northern Grimsby to Boston line main line
After the withdrawal of passenger services on the Grimsby to Boston line, just the section between Grimsby and Louth which is now part of LWR was kept open for freight trains for 10 years
When this part of the line was closed all the track and ballast was removed along with most of the station buildings and the platforms were also demolished.
47406 about to leave Ludborough station across the level crossing
In 1980 a preservation society was formed with its aim of restoring the line. A dedicated group of volunteers then set about bringing the railway back to life
At Ludborough station the platforms and signal box have had to all be rebuilt. All the track has had to be relayed. Trains now travel to the next station toward Grimsby which is North Thoresby
The station at North Thoresby was reopened in 2009
It is hoped to head south towards Louth in the next few years
It looks like, what has been rebuilt so far, was always here. This is all very good, and I hope you keep up the good work. All we need now is a B1 on a fish train!
47406 being filled with water from a hosepipe at Ludborough station yard.
47406 original LMS number was 16489. This 0-6-0T steam locomotive was built by the Vulcan Foundry at Newton-le-Willows in 1926
47406 LMS number was 16489. This type of shunting locomotives are better known as Jinties. British Railways withdrew this locomotive in December 1967, and it ended up at Barry scrapyard
It went to the Peak Rail headquarters in Buxton in June 1983 but when Peak Rail moved out from there, it was sold and went to the Great Central Railway