Railways around Peterborough & The National Rail Network & Heritage railways in the UK
( Lincoln signal boxes page 4 of 7 )
East Holmes signal box
East Holmes signal box in 2005
View of East Holmes signal box from the back also in 2005.
This signal box in Lincoln was called East Holmes and was north of Lincoln station.
This signal box called East Holmes together with High Street
, Pelham Street Junction
and West Holmes signal boxes were all closed when Lincoln station had a major resignalling and new track layout scheme during the years 2007 to 2008. These boxes were replaced by a new state of the art signalling centre near to the site of West Holmes box.
East Holmes signal box was opened in May 1873 by the Great Northern Railway and is Grade ll listed building. It closed in September 2008, but is still standing because of its listing.
This box (2014) may have aready been moved a little way away from were it was. A new foot bridge is to be built on this site. The box may become a Cafe? Network Rail has submitted a planning application to the City of Lincoln Council to move the box.
Lincoln is the county town of Lincolnshire and was and still is the hub of the railways in this part of Lincolnshire.